The World, Residences at Sea, is the finest private mega yacht at sea. We offer the best of the best at every level of our organization. Employees of The World strive for excellence in everything we do.
The Head Sommelier’s primary responsibility is to manage all aspects of the beverage operations with a focus on beverage service in the restaurants and bars. One key area is to maintain a world-class beverage program comprising the master and destination wine list, sake list, bar list and cigar list. During the 4-month contract, the successful candidate will also be relieving the Beverage Manager during the latter’s vacation period for two months.
• Supervise all beverage operations and team, wine cellar management and beverage sourcing for the Ship
• Strategically partner with the Executive Chef and F&B Director on all aspects of dining and culinary experiences
• Support the Beverage Manager in organizing dinners, tasting events and Guest lectures, featuring wine makers, master distillers and mixologists
• Assist Beverage Manager in organizing and leading bespoke visits to wineries and distilleries
• Assist guests in their choice of beverage and promote all products of the beverage program (wine, cocktails, spirits, sake, cigars)
• Maintain full oversight of the stock on hand and par stock levels in all Bars and Wine vaults
• Oversee physical stock takes and prepare an action plan for depleting slow moving items
• Ensure daily depletions match actual sales and charges are applied to guests’ accounts
• Assist the Hotel Inventory Team with the planning of beverage orders and assist with the organization of the main cellar
• Ensure inventory reports and “End of Month” reports are completed in a timely manner
• Carefully review the final edits of onboard publications, menus and collateral
• Manage a range of operational software systems such as Infogenesis-POS, restaurant reservations, Guest preferences, Fidelio, MMS and Launch Partners
• Minimum of 3 years’ relevant experience on a luxury cruise ship, in a private country club or similar, luxury hotel or resort
• Degree in Hospitality Management or related field preferred
• Certification at the court of Master Sommelier or Advanced WSET Level 3 preferred
• Good knowledge on Mixology is required
• Previous supervisory experience required
• Strong administrative and organizational skills
• Experience working in a multi-cultural environment
• Good computer skills to include Word, Excel and Outlook
• Working knowledge of point of sales systems, inventory management systems, Fidelio and computerized reservation systems
• Able to read, write and speak fluently in English
• One additional language (German, French, Italian, Spanish) preferred
Along with worldwide travel opportunities, The World offers many other benefits. This position is afforded comfortable, single cabin accommodation, meals, and access to crew facilities such as a crew bar, fitness center, state of the art bicycles and outside seating deck.
At The World, we are one team, we are always passionate and caring and we support one another in mutual respect. We have a unified, empowered and strong team culture that values diversity and recognizes, develops and retains talent.
Please note that all candidates must complete an online employment application before being considered for any open position. Interviews will only be arranged after receipt and review of such online application and are ‘by appointment only’. Qualified candidates will be contacted by a representative of the Human Resources Team.
ROW Management Ltd. is committed to the health and well-being of our Crew. All Crew Members are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and provide evidence of completion of a vaccination regime (vaccination card / certificate or digital immunity passport) approved by the EU (EMA – European Medicines Agency) or the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA).