Health, Safety and Environmental (HSE) Officer – Luxury Mega Yacht
The World, Residences at Sea, is the largest privately owned residential yacht on earth. Employees of The World strive for excellence in everything we do. We live and work on a one-of-a-kind luxury yacht that sails continuously around the world. Every few days you will wake to an exciting new port of call. It’s the ultimate way to work and travel all in one.
The Health, Safety and Environmental (HSE) Officer reports directly to the Master with responsibility for oversight of and assisting with development of company occupational safety, environmental and public health policies, procedures, and systems onboard.
In addition to serving as the shipboard subject matter expert on HSE regulatory issues (including MARPOL, SOLAS, STCW, MLC, USPH and other Public Health Standards globally), the HSE Officer will serve as a support function for other shipboard departments to promote ship-wide internal and regulatory compliance and serve as the onboard Responsible Position for applicable plans and programs.
- Participate in the development, on-going review, and implementation of company occupational safety, environmental and public health policies, procedures, and systems with shore side Senior Management and shipboard Heads of Department as appropriate
- Maintain awareness of current and upcoming regulations and trends to ensure the vessel operates at the foremost of environmental, safety, and public health criteria
- Responsible for oversight of the following onboard programs and plans, including: Our Green World; Ship Energy Efficiency Management Plan (SEEMP); Chemical Management Plan; Bio-fouling Management Plan; Enclosed Space Entry Training Manual; Vessel General Permit; Oil Record Book; Oil / Sea Interface Log
- Coordinate internal inspections and verifications to verify compliance with procedures and requirements (including Crew Service Areas, MLC compliance, potable water testing, public health, etc.) and ensure proper record-keeping of findings and corrective actions
- Organize external Public Health audits and training as necessary, focusing on itinerary driven requirements and possible inspections (i.e. USPH, Australian PH, European PH (SHIPSAN), etc.)
- Foster and promote a strong Shipboard Safety Culture. Ensuring that all departments are performing according to regulatory requirements and that Company Goals and Objectives are reached
- Onboard administrator of the SMS software (Premaster), provides assistance, guidance and training to all Departments as necessary
- Verify and ensure compliance with local, regional, national, and international requirements and guidance through Ocean Guardian, port agent, or local associations
- Oversee oil spill and hazmat preparation and response, including equipment readiness and reporting of unauthorized releases or spills into the environment to the Master and ensure regulatory required reporting is completed as required
- Facilitate health, safety, environmental, and technical training to onboard teams
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in the Maritime Industry, minimum of 2 years of on-board experience on an ultra-luxury Cruise Ship is preferred.
- HSE Related University/College education preferred or alternative extensive experience in the HSE field.
- Must also be familiar with the following: AMOS Requisitioning, Inventory & Planned Maintenance system; Safety Management System and overall intent of the International Safety Management Code (ISM); Actual Waste Landed (AWL) procedures and records; Environmental Ops Matrix ; Solid & Special Waste Disposal Procedures; Chemical Handling & Storage Guidelines; Logbooks & Ship Position Checks; Inspections & Action Logs; Engine Room Environmental Operations (Discharge Valves, OWS & White Box, MSD & AWP, Bilge Management, Exhaust Gas Boilers, Gravity Tanks, etc.)
- Knowledge and understanding of Water Balance Chemistry to be a resource for all positions involved in water treatment activities (Pools, Jacuzzis, Fountains, Cooling Water, Boiler Water, Preheat/Reheat Water, Hi-Fog Water, Potable Water)
- Intimate knowledge of Public Health regulation and preferably have participated in VSP training in the last 2 years.
- Must hold valid required STCW certification, including but not limited to: STCW I/6 Train the Trainer; STCW V/2 Crowd and Crisis Management; STCW VI/1 Basic Training; STCW VI/3 Advanced Fire Fighting; STCW VI/6 Security Awareness
- Excellent knowledge of computer Software, including: Windows, MS Office, AMOS, Premaster, and Fidelio.
- Must be able to speak and write in clear and concise English and be familiar with required technical terminology.
Along with worldwide travel opportunities, The World offers many other benefits. Our team members are afforded comfortable accommodations, delicious meals, facilities including a fitness center, state- of- the- art bicycles, crew bar, outside sun / seating deck, and a variety of crew enrichment activities. In addition, we have the most generous Tuition Reimbursement Program in the industry.
At The World we are one team, always passionate and caring and supporting one another in mutual respect. We have a unified, empowered, and strong team culture that values diversity and recognizes, develops and retains talent.
Please note that all candidates must complete an online employment application before being considered for any open position. Interviews will only be arranged after receipt and review of such online application and are ‘by appointment only’. Qualified candidates will be contacted by a representative of the Human Resources Team.