Manager, Port Operations
The World, Residences at Sea, is the finest private mega yacht at sea. We offer the best of the best at every level of our organization. Employees of The World strive for excellence in everything we do.
The Manager, Port Operations is responsible for supporting the creation, management and coordination of the vessel’s worldwide itinerary, expeditions and explorations, ensuring compliance with port regulations and requirements. The role is critical to Destination Services, Operations and Sales & Marketing and works in collaboration within these groups to provide culturally rewarding and diverse itineraries always exceeding Resident and Guest satisfaction.
The Manager of Port Operations reports to the Director, Itinerary Planning and works closely with the on-board Clearance Officer and Captain and is responsible to research, negotiate and manage all aspects of the ship’s ports of call.
- Ensures itinerary complies with ship’s immigration / customs and legal obligations (incl. cabotage requirements)
- Negotiates with local authorities to leverage the best location and conditions for the vessel’s call
- Ensures that the Clearance Officer has all the necessary information pertaining to the ship’s call, i.e., garbage, bunkering, water, off loads, customs and immigration arrangements
- Supports and or communicates itinerary changes and itinerary information effectively to shore side and ship board partners
- Manages all Port Agency relationships
- Responsible for updating Itinerary, Port & Agent and Pre-Arrival information
- Conducts RFP’s with port agencies for all ports of call at least two years in advance
- Supports the delivery of the itinerary process two plus years in advance
- Supports the Expedition process
- Responsible for communicating with various local authorities and third parties to obtain visa and health requirement information based on the Ship’s itinerary a minimum of one year in advance of the call and communicating these requirements with the appropriate ship and shore side team members
- ‘Go To’ person for all port operations
- Ensures port agents are continuously reviewed and selected based on service standards, operational needs and budgetary guidelines
- Ensures annual competitive bids and comparative analysis are being performed for all port agent services
- Ensures that port agent Disbursement Accounts (DA’s) are accurate, processed and audited in a timely manner
- Key leader in the annual budget process as it relates to port operations
- Assists with determining ports of call and researches product mix within budgetary guidelines
- Responsible in monitoring port budget and preparation of monthly financial reports and accruals
- Responsible for analysis of monthly departmental budget/forecast vs actual financial results
- BA/BS 4 year degree or foreign equivalency and/or a minimum of five years’ experience working in Port Operations / International shipping or cruise line and or Tour/Travel Operations
- Financial analytical experience
- Five-star/luxury cruise line, expedition knowledge, Marine Operations a plus
- Experience and knowledge of port operations
- Strong knowledge of local regulations pertaining to a vessel’s call including worldwide cabotage restrictions, strong destination experience
- Excellent world-wide geographical knowledge
- Contacts with port agents, world-wide industry contacts is beneficial
- Excellent research skills
- Must have superior command of the English language, both verbal & written
- Solid presentation skills through the command of software systems such as PowerPoint, Adobe, etc.
- Must be able to travel based on job demands and requirements
- Proficient in MS office to include, Word, Excel, Power Point, Outlook
At The World we are one team, we are always passionate and caring and we support one another in mutual respect. We have a unified, empowered and strong team culture that values diversity and recognizes, develops and retains talent.
Please note that all candidates must complete an online employment application before being considered for any open position. Interviews will only be arranged after receipt and review of such online application and are ‘by appointment only’. Qualified candidates will be contacted by a representative of the Human Resources Team.