The World, Residences at Sea, is the largest privately owned residential yacht on earth. We offer the best of the best at every level of our organization. Employees of The World strive for excellence in everything we do.
The Sommelier’s primary responsibility is to manage all aspects of the beverage operations with a focus on beverage service in the restaurants and bars. One key area is to maintain a world class beverage program comprising the master and destination wine list, sake list, bar list and cigar list. In addition, the Sommelier conducts wine lectures and tastings with Residents and Guests and educates all F&B personnel regarding wine.
- Work together with the Head Sommelier and Beverage Manager to maintain a full oversight of the overall beverage stock on hand and the par stock levels in all restaurants and bars
- Assist Residents and Guests in their choice of beverage and promote all products of the beverage program (wine, cocktails, spirits, sake, cigars)
- Participate in organizing and supervising wine tastings and Guest lectures together with the Beverage Manager and Head Sommelier
- Assist the Hotel Inventory Manager with the delivery of beverage orders
- Support Bartenders and Jr Bartenders in conducting physical stocktake; monitor and deplete slow moving items
- Ensure daily depletions match actual sales and charges are applied to Residents and Guests accounts and inform F&B Management of depleted itemsist the Beverage Manager in managing the onboard Wine Program
- Administrative tasks as relevant to the department, including reporting, recording of Residents’ preferences, creating/revising SOPs and job descriptions and developing and executing punchlists and operational action plans, as well as managing operational software systems
- Supervising, coaching and training Mixologists, Bartenders, Bar Waiters and Bar & Pool Stewards
- Adhere to budgets and place orders to provisioning schedules whilst maintaining par stock levels and minimizing waste and breakage
- Minimum of 3 years’ relevant experience on a luxury cruise ship, in a private country club or similar, luxury hotel or resort
- Sommelier certification with CMS, Level 3 with WSET or a Professional Diploma from a well recognized Wine School required
- Degree in Hospitality Management or related field preferred
- Experience working in a multi-cultural environment
- Good computer skills to include Word, Excel and Outlook required
- Working knowledge of point of sales systems, inventory management systems, Fidelio and computerized reservation systems required
- Good administrative and organizational skills
- Able to read, write and speak fluently in English required
- One additional language (German, French, Italian, Spanish) preferred
Along with worldwide travel opportunities, The World offers many other benefits. This position is afforded comfortable, single cabin accommodations, meals, and access to crew facilities such as a crew bar, fitness center, state of the art bicycles and outside seating deck.
At The World we are one team, we are always passionate and caring and we support one another in mutual respect. We have a unified, empowered and strong team culture that values diversity and recognizes, develops and retains talent.
ROW Management Ltd. is committed to the health and well-being of our Crew. All Crew Members are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and provide evidence of completion of a vaccination regime (vaccination card / certificate or digital immunity passport) approved by the EU (EMA – European Medicines Agency) or the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA).